Colombia!

Colombia!

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Technology in Second Language Education

Question for my classmates:  Suppose you were working with immigrants and refugees.  You receive a grant for $1000.  Would you invest in a library, or computers for your students?  Why?



For my other readers:

I've never been a super-fan of technology.  At the grocery store, I get the items that won't scan.  With my laptop, sometimes (I swear this is true) accounts will be created and software will be downloaded that I never clicked "OK" on.  Even now, I've somehow got two random Google accounts, which is a bit scary because I don't remember creating the second one--but it has my picture on it and everything, and somehow I'm able to login to it.

Signing up to take Technology in Second Language Education at Gonzaga University was not high on my priority list this summer.  I'd actually been leaning toward History of English--give me reading and writing--tangible objects like books and paper and pens--yet most of my friends were signing up for Technology.  I knew I needed to improve my computer skills and get over my fears.  With a deep breath, I made the commitment to Tech for part of my summer class schedule.

So here I am writing a blog about technology!

6 comments:

  1. I would invest in tablets because they have access to books (libraries let you borrow e-books like you cam regular books) but the students would also have access to resources online. The way the world is going, to be competitive for a job it is necessary to have technology skills. By investing in technology and showing the students how to borrow books from the public library, I think they would get the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would invest in computers, because I want them to access millions of sources online. Also, since they immigrated and came to a new place for different circumstances, they may did not have time to learn how to use technology. Therefore, I wanna open their eyes of the magic of technology that may be helpful for them and for their future career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would invest in computers, because I want them to access millions of sources online. Also, since they immigrated and came to a new place for different circumstances, they may did not have time to learn how to use technology. Therefore, I wanna open their eyes of the magic of technology that may be helpful for them and for their future career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if the students had technology in their homes, there are so many resources available. I am still learning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would invest in both, because with the library students would find available sources in anytime and with computers they will able to find and seek the information globally and integrate with people from different communities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would invest in computer. I think that they will get the benefits of having computer. They will be able to access a lot of helpful recourses which helps to develop their language skills in any subject area. having computers means that they will able to have a conversations with a diversity of people through social media and this help to facilitate their language accomplishment, especially if they are ESL students. Moreover, technology still good tool to give feedback to the students especially with pronunciation. So, instead of asking each students to come and discuses his mistakes, send him/her the recording with your correction and ask him to listen to it several times. This is because if you tell students to correct himself, they might had no ideas about their mistakes, they need to listen to your recording several times in order to recognize and notice the differences and their mistakes.

    ReplyDelete