Colombia!

Colombia!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sun Island! 24 September 2013


When I saw the pictures in the e-mail, I couldn't believe it.  Sun Island 2013 Summer Party for hundreds of staff and teachers?  Golf course, go-karts, "carnival", pottery, horseback riding...and the best part, in my opinion, was a wave pool and "beach".  The whole thing--buffet, drinks, entertainment, was being paid for by my employer.  Was this for real?

The only other company picnics I remember were those that RAHCO had back in Spokane when I was a kid.  When the old boss was still in charge, he'd wear a beer helmet and talk to all the employees' kids, who were hopped up on free-flow lemonade and soda.  Everyone had big grins.  Everyone brought food--pies, salads, rolls of every kind, brownies, jell-o salads, cole slaw...All of the drinks, and anything that went on the grill, came out of the boss' generous pockets.  As the sun started its downward coast toward the horizon, the adults would play tug-o-war or take turns driving a speedboat around the lake, towing the older kids on giant inner tubes.  Mothers and young children chatted and dozed on blankets under the pine trees.

When I was a kid, the RAHCO picnic was one of the highlights of summer.

Fast-forward to 2013 and this summer party.  It was as if all of my childhood dreams had come true.

I'd had a bit of a night out the evening before, so the 90-minute bus ride was a little painful at times.  I wish I'd inherited my grandfather's cast iron stomach, but I hadn't, so I contented myself with sipping sweetened green tea out of a red can and nibbling on Pringles, taking deep breaths.  The closer we got to Sun Island, the better I felt, but it took about an hour before the skyscrapers were behind us.  Yes, Shanghai is one of the world's most populous cities.  The flat landscape lends itself to millions of high rises.  It seems impossible that they could go on for so long, but they did.

But all things end, and eventually we could see more greenery, more sky.  Blue sky!  Before we took the final turn, I even saw a cow, and exclaimed out loud--I hadn't seen a cow in over two months, and the farmland and livestock made me feel happy and relaxed.

Our bus passed the corral first.  The horses seemed small, saddled and tied up to their posts, heads down in the mid-day heat, looking weary and sad.  They weren't even flicking their tails at the flies.  I could imagine their smell--horse sweat smelled like petunias to me--and I imagined the smell of leather, the way it sounded creaking in the sun.  I felt guilty--I'd always been horse-crazy as a girl, and I hadn't ridden in nearly 20 years.  I thought Maybe, just maybe...But the bus passed the corral, and by the time we reached our destination, the horses were at least a 10 minute bus ride behind us.

Bus after bus of teachers and staff spewed into the lobby of the largest building.  Our site at Wujiaochang alone had 50 people attending.  It seemed hard to believe that we'd traveled 90 minutes out of Shanghai, and it still felt like the middle of rush hour.  We stampeded toward the free Singaporean buffet lunch, and after a soda, we started in on the semi-frozen bottles of Tsingtao.  A couple of my co-workers were on a mission to get stumbling drunk, but I didn't feel completely comfortable with that.  For one thing, I was tired from last night; for another, all of my co-workers, including my boss and her bosses, were in attendance.  Free alcohol was nice, but I had no desire to act the fool in front of these people.

After a bit, a few of us took the shuttle to the wave pool, where the site vs. site tug-o-wars would be held.  I couldn't believe that I hadn't been swimming all season--swimming is one of my favorite summer activities, but with preparations for coming to Shanghai and settling in here, I simply hadn't had the time.  I didn't care that the "beach" was fake, with obviously manufactured sand, or that there was no alcohol being served.  I put on a small layer of sunscreen and laid out on my complimentary navy blue company towel.  My co-worker and I took turns swimming (the water was the perfect temperature) or going down the water slides while the other stayed behind to keep an eye on our gear.  Some bikini-clad girls from other sites soon plunked down next to us, and we had a nice little chat, albeit a gossipy one.

One of my trips down the slide was with a male co-worker, a Chinese man who usually looked very serious and even moody.  But as we climbed the stairs together (me for the first time, he for the third), we couldn't stop talking and giggling like kids.  It was great to see each other outside of work, just having a good time.  When I saw him the next day at work, we gave each other big grins, and it felt like the whole trip had been worth it.

After a couple hours we made our way back to the main building, where the staff performances were being held.  Luckily, WJC was up first, because the conference room was PACKED.  The chairs and tables had been removed.  Most people were sitting on the carpet, like kids at a school pep rally, and everyone else crowded on along the edges in the dark, standing body to body with familiar and unfamiliar folk alike.  Colored disco lights and spotlights colored the room, licking the tops of our heads and making them sparkle like gems.

At one point, a handsome American guy I'd seen at the pool in a Speed-o came in--still barefoot and in his Speed-o, obviously tipsy, pushing his way in, his nearly naked butt centimeters from the faces of shy Chinese girls who'd spent hours making themselves pretty for the event today.  I cringed.  Ah, here was the example of an American, the example famous everywhere around the world.  The good-looking, entitled, loud American Example.  The Example said, rather loudly:  "Hey, a talent show!  How can I get in on that?  My buddy can beat-box and I'll rap."  I wanted to glare at him.  Some of the staff had been rehearsing for months.  After WJC finished (to great applause and my loud cheering), I pushed my way out of the crowd.  I didn't want to know whether this guy had made it to the stage or not, but I didn't want to watch.

I sipped my way through a cocktail, somewhat reluctantly.  I was getting really hungry, and I knew if I had another drink after this, it wouldn't be a good scenario.  After the buffet lunch, the food had been picked up.  There was no snack bar or any place to buy food that I could see.  I thought it was great that my employer had done all this for us, but I thought it was a little irresponsible of them to provide an unrestricted flow of beer and liquor without even some chips to help soak it up.  Ah, well.

A co-worker and I caught one of the first busses back to Shanghai.  We had a great conversation, and it felt like a good ending to a good day.

For more photos and information on Sun Island, check out their website:  http://www.sunislandclub.com/en/

No comments:

Post a Comment